Thanks to Giles Babb Read more [...]
Seafood is an integral part of life in Emsworth, whether its the historical oysters, the community orientated fresh from the boat or the local fishmonger in the High street. This recipe uses salmon from M.R Starr, the local fishmongers in Emsworth.
- 400g Salmon
- handful of parsley
- 1/2 a lemon
- 200g spinach
- olive oil
- 5 large potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour 2 fresh bay leaves
- 350ml vegetable stock
- 350ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon english mustard
- 50g Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400ºF/gas 6. Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces, then boil until soft. Add the eggs for the last 5-8 minutes
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and stir in the flour. Add the bay leaves, then gradually, add the vegetable stock and the milk, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, then simmer until thickened. Stir in the mustard, then squeeze in the lemon juice. Finely chop and stir in the parsley. Season with a little black pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Use a square baking dish. Check that there aren’t any bones in the salmon, then cut into bite size pieces and spread them evenly over the base of the dish. Wilt and add the spinach, then peel, slice and add the eggs. Remove the bay leaves, then pour over the sauce and allow to cool slightly. Drain the potatoes well and mash with a little extra virgin olive oil and a splash of milk. Spoon the potatoes over the pie and scuff up the surface with a fork. Grate the Cheddar over the top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the Salmon is cooked.